Thursday, January 1, 2009

12 Days to American Idol

“LaKisha, I actually could kiss you after that… You absolutely nailed it, and I’m so glad that you are back!”

-- Simon Cowell, about LaKisha Jones’ performance of “This Ain’t A Love Song,” Season 6


As far as individual American Idol performances go, LaKisha’s performance during Bon Jovi week during season 6 (which incidentially aired on my birthday that spring) is hands down one of my favorites.

During the first week of semifinal competition, LaKisha threw down the gauntlet with a powerhouse performance of “And I Am Telling You.” She easily made it to the top 12 on the strength of her vocal abilities, establishing herself as an early front runner that season. With standout performances of “I Have Nothing,”“God Bless the Child,” and “Diamonds Are Forever,” she appeared to be on track to go up against Melinda Doolittle in the finale. Still, she struggled midway through the season, primarily with the themes and song selection, opening the door for other contestants, like Jordin Sparks and Blake Lewis.

During Top 7 week, she committed the cardinal sin of taking on a song by a previous and iconic Idol winner, Carrie Underwood, her rendition of “Jesus Take the Wheel” paling in comparison. The following week, she made the exact same mistake by choosing Fantasia’s Idol coronation song, “I Believe.” Had it not been for a charitable non-elimination that week thanks to Idol Gives Back, we might have been denied such a bravura performance.

For Bon Jovi week, LaKisha chose the obscure track, “This Ain’t A Love Song.” From the first note to the very last, she infused her performance with passion, emotion, sexuality and vulnerability not seen since “And I Am Telling You.” It’s not often that I stand up and cheer alone in my living room after an AI performance, but I certainly did that night. Simon’s reaction, alone, says it all.





No comments: