Sunday, January 4, 2009

9 Days to American Idol

“If [American Idol] was the Olympics, I'd still get a medal. It was a great race!”

--Kimberley Locke (AKA K-Lo!)


(Today's entry is brought to you by Lindsay Hemphill, with my comments in blue.)

Kimberley Locke was an early favorite of mine! We’re about the same age, and she’s a strong person who has an amazing voice! At the time she auditioned for American Idol, she was contemplating going to Law School instead. Boy am I glad she chose to see where Idol would take her!

Season 2 will always be my favorite season. It was the first time that no one knew who was going to win. Once we got to the Top 3, it was really anyone’s game! But from her very first note, to her very last, she proved that she was a force to be reckoned with! Even when she was dealing with Strep throat, she was busting it out! I just love every song/cd she has put out since! I, of course, own them all!

Lindsay's right about Season 2's unpredictable Top 3. The format at that time divided the top 32 contestants into groups of 8. Each week, one group performed, with the top 2 vote-getters advancing. Group 2 of the semi-finals contained Kimberley, Ruben Studdard, and Clay Aiken - the contestants who would go on to comprise the Top 3. Kimberley and Ruben advanced on votes, and Clay got a second shot thanks to the wild card round. Look for AI to revert back to a similar structure this year, which I'm not happy about.

I could go on and on, but you would just be bored. So, please enjoy her performances of “Home” (personally, I think it’s one of her best performances!) from the Wiz and “Band of Gold” (which, incidentally, she sang with Frenchie Davis during Hollywood week!)! Oh, and as Gladys Knight (I think) told her, girlfriend can SANG!





Bonus Video: Kimberley performing "Band of Gold" with Frenchie Davis during Hollywood week of Season 2.

1 comment:

MAC said...

Kim is another one of my favorites. She won me over during her first audition when she performed Somewhere Over The Rainbow. I have both of her albums and her Christmas CD. I LOVE HER!!!