Monday, January 12, 2009

1 Day to American Idol

“Look, again, it’s fantastic that you followed the previous performance because you just outlined my point so well. American is not known for nice singers. It is known for great singers, and you are one of them. Congratulations!”

-- Simon Cowell, about Kelly Clarkson’s performance of “Natural Woman,” Season 1


This is probably the hardest intro for me to write because I didn’t watch this season of American Idol. In fact, I bad-mouthed the show before having seen it. I detested the whole concept of reality television. It was a novelty, a fad that would quickly fade. I remember sitting in the kitchen of my apartment with my roommates, making fun of Kelly and her coronation song, “A Moment Like This.” And the farce, “From Justin to Kelly” didn’t help, that’s for sure!

I can’t put my finger on exactly what it was that changed my mind. The following winter, I watched some of the auditions with the intention of making fun of the “contestants.” Little did I know that beyond the hopelessly deluded and woefully untalented posers, there were actual phenomenal singers out there whose stories I connected with and whose talents I admired. I found it easy and addictive to root for people like Kimberley Locke and Ruben Studdard as they chased their dreams.

Having become a Kelly fan post-idol, and having seen her Idol performances on AI Rewind and on YouTube, I sincerely regret my initial impulse to despise something I had no experience of. It was immature and ignorant. I have grown since then (hopefully), and I apologize to Kelly and all my fellow AI fanatics out there.

Kelly was the first, and arguably the best AI winner. She is certainly the most mainstream artist produced by the show. Her tremendous success since the competition is the direct result of her amazing singing abilities, her rigorous work ethic, and her integrity, and NOT because she is the product of a pop culture machine telling the masses what they like.

I’m looking forward to her upcoming 4th album, due out in March. Go Kelly!





1 comment:

MAC said...

I LOVE KELLY!!! I started watching AI in the middle of season 1 and there was no turning back. My co-workers bought me ticketes to the AI concert for Boss Day. It was fantastic. THANKS...