Sunday, January 11, 2009

2 Days to American Idol

"My mother always taught me, even my dad, just never let other people's opinions of you shape your opinion of yourself. And I never have and I never will."

-- Ruben Studdard


(Today's entry is brought to you by Lindsay Hemphill.)

Those of you who know me, know that I could probably talk about Ruben Studdard for days and days. I will try not to do that. I remember watching Ruben’s very first audition (he sang “Ribbon in the Sky” and Marc and I could NOT find it on YouTube!) and I kind of fell in love! Later, I found out from a friend of mine that he was a Phi Mu Alpha brother and that made me love him even more, as many of my friends from college were/are brothers!

From his first audition and throughout the competition, Ruben was vocally, rock steady. He didn’t have a “bad performance” throughout, and every time he sang (especially a ballad), I was a big ol’ puddle on the floor! The finale was the closest in Idol history with only 1,335 votes separating first from second, and Ruben managed to squeak out the victory. Since Idol, he has put out 3 albums (I, of course, own them all) with a 4th expected out by Mother’s Day!!! He is currently with the touring company of the 30th Anniversary production of Ain’t Misbehavin’ (which I’m also seeing around Mother’s Day!)!!

I have been a fan since day 1 and I will ALWAYS continue to be a fan and support him any way I can!! (Except with his recent marriage….unless he’s to me, then I’ll be very happy!)  Anyway, I hope you enjoy the FOUR clips I picked (there were so many to choose from, we couldn’t narrow it down to just 2)!!







No comments: