Wednesday, December 31, 2008

13 Days to American Idol

"Before Idol, I was lost.... Now, I've actually followed through with something. I am a better man for it!"

-- Elliott Yamin



(Today's entry is brought to you by Lindsay Hemphill)

I don’t really remember Elliott from his audition, or even Hollywood week (though I remember he was stuck with one of the Brittenum Twins from hell). But what I definitely DO remember is when he sang Moody’s Mood for Love during the early stages of the competition. I know that I sat up and took notice. I don’t remember (before or since) anyone singing something THAT hard and pitch perfect at that stage of the competition!

Elliott always had that ‘something special’ quality that made me very quickly become a fan! Week after week, he put out outstanding performances that made me say, “man, this guy is amazing!” And THEN we found out that he is 90% deaf in his right ear. AND he has diabetes. I mean, he’s a walking inspiration…with an AMAZING voice!

I have had the privilege to see him live twice. Once during the AI Tour and then a few months later at the Virginia State Fair. And I have both his albums (one with the hit “Wait For You” and also his Christmas album), and both are incredible. He is just fantastic and I will gladly pay any amount of money to see him live or buy anything he puts out. I hope you enjoy two of my favorite Idol performances.



No comments: