Friday, December 26, 2008

18 Days to American Idol

“I don’t say this lightly… that performance was on a par with Whitney Houston, Celine Dion. Seriously! Honestly, Tamyra, it was one of the best performances on TV I have ever, ever seen, in my life. It was superb! Amazing!”

-- Simon Cowell, about Tamyra Gray’s performance of “A House Is Not A Home,” Season 1


Another early favorite, another shocking 4th place elimination. Actually, this was the first of AI’s shocking late round eliminations.

Back when AI first premiered, I wrote it off, protesting what I thought would be the “fad” of reality television. Boy was I wrong… about the show and about reality television in general. Looking back, I wish I had embraced it sooner, because I missed what looks like an incredible season. I have since seen most of it on AI rewind, and I’ve watched countless clips on the web. Had I been watching, I would have been pulling for a Tamyra/Kelly finale.

While she’s gone on to appear on TV and most recently as Mimi on Broadway in Rent, she helped make American Idol the powerhouse that it is now. More than just being a remarkable singer, she’s a crazy talented performer. Check out her stage presence in “A Fool in Love.” And with performances like “A House Is Not A Home” and “Touch Me In the Morning,” it’s a wonder that she didn’t fare better than fourth, not that has held her back since.





No comments: