Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Note to Freemantle Media and 19 Entertainment: BRING BACK NIGEL LYTHGOE!!!

“You know when you're really excited about having a bowl of cereal for breakfast, and you scarf down that first spoonful only to realize the milk has gone bad — and then you silently curse yourself for not checking the date on the carton prior to pouring? That would kind of describe my experience watching the first semifinal performance episode of American Idol's eighth season.”

-- Michael Slezak, www.ew.com


It’s no secret, as evidenced by my Countdown to American Idol back in December/January, that I love this show. I was so excited for it to return. I loved that they chose to reduce the number of audition episodes, to increase the footage from Hollywood Week, and to bring back the Group Sing during Hollywood. It was supposed to be fantastic!

Man, did I set myself up for a huge fall. Let’s break it down:

Audition rounds – I was glad that they showed more of the golden ticket winners, but they spent so much time on the cannon fodder contestants, rather than the singers with an actual shot at making the Top 12. Some of the contestants that I got really excited about, like David Osmond and Jamar Rogers, ended up getting cut during Hollywood Week. Meanwhile, we got Top 36 contestants who hadn’t seen so much as a second of time on-camera.

Hollywood Week – When I’m craving manufactured drama, I turn to bad reality TV, like Big Brother or any of the crap shows on VH1. I watch American Idol for the talent. I want to see singing. Instead, the new producers chose to focus on the human train wrecks that are Tatiana Del Toro, Nathaniel Marshall, and Nick Mitchell/Norman Gentle. Singing took a back seat to temper tantrums, delusions of grandeur, and embarrassing emotional meltdowns. When I wasn’t annoyed, I was angry.

Semi-finals – I’ve never been a fan of the Top 36 format (Top 32 back in the day). First of all, random groupings can put too many good singers together, leaving deserving contestants to pray for a second chance in the Wild Card round. Then, singers who make it in early aren’t seen for weeks until the Top 12 eventually take the stage, putting them at a slight disadvantage. Finally, the results show becomes a bloodbath, especially when good contestants get the shaft.

4th Judge – While Kara has potential, and she’s given some decent insight at times, her first live performance show proved she has nothing new or interesting to add. I found her presence last night frustrating and boring.

Throw in the amateurish camera work and horrible instrumentation last night, and you’ve got the recipe for disaster. What has happened to my favorite reality show? I’m hoping that things return to normal once we get to the Top 12 and the finals. Thus far, I am completely underwhelmed and wholly disappointed.

RICKY BRADDY FOR A WILD CARD SPOT!!!!

And finally, just as a reminder to all the posers and wannabe’s out there: these are true American Idols. If you are not or can not become this good, don’t bother wasting my time.

No comments: