Saturday, September 27, 2008

Remembering the Love

It’s time now, to sing out
Though the story never ends
Let’s celebrate
Remember a year in the life of friends

Remember the love
(Oh, you got to, you got to remember the love)
Remember the love
(You know that life is a gift from up above)
Remember the love
(Share love, give love, spread love)
Measure in love
(Measure, measure your life in love)


-- “Seasons of Love,” Rent


Rent closed its 12 year run on Broadway on Sunday, September 7th, 2008. The final performance was filmed and released into theaters this week for a special limited engagement. I just got back from seeing it, and not surprisingly, I’m filled with emotion.

At its core, Rent is about individual souls transformed by the power of love. Imperfect, irrational, and oftentimes fleeting, love is still that entity which shapes our humanity.

Life can be dark, bleak, and oppressive, filled with struggle, strife, sorrow, and pain. Yet, even in those moments of deepest despair, a gesture of compassion, kindness, or concern can be supremely uplifting. Right now, I’m thinking about those people in my life – family, friends – whom I love and who love me. They provide the joy in my life, a happiness that carries me through the difficult times. They give my life meaning and purpose. They make me glad to be alive.

Today, I remember the love. Today, I celebrate those who have taught me about love.


The cast of Rent during the curtain call of Sept. 7th's final performance on Broadway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is the most important thing in life to focus on... remembering love.

Anonymous said...

I'm really Glad i found this web site.Added iwannabeahousewife.blogspot.com to my bookmark!